Saturday, June 4, 2011

Life might be like a box of chocolates, but sin is like a pizza buffet

I've been slow in posting recently, we've been out of town, Sarah's not sleeping again, etc etc etc.  One thing that's been weighing on my mind (and stomach) since Tuesday is another correlation between our spiritual lives and physical.  After swim class, we went out to eat with a bunch of Ginger's friends at the local pizza buffet.  I knew I'd eat some pizza, so I had a pretty big salad before.

As I ate a couple slices, I thought, this isn't **that** bad... However, about 5 minutes after eating, it was.  My stomach hurt, I felt bad, actually felt guilty plus felt like I'd been ran over by a truck.  It was the stinkin pizza that I'd just had that didn't taste bad eating.

That's the way it is with our spiritual life as well.  We do this or that which doesn't seem that bad, but before you know it, we've done way too much of it.  Maybe it is something that in and of itself is not bad unless taken to extremes.  But... then comes the reckoning when that activity or word or whatever hits.  We feel bad, we wish we hadn't, but it is too late.  It's done.

The other thing that comes to mind is that before I started eating better, we'd go to these places occasionally and I'd leave not feeling bad.  That intake was normal.  When we continue doing things we shouldn't, our spiritual lives become such that our conscience dwindles and dwindles.

Let's join together by getting the pizza buffets out of our spiritual lives, then let's get them out of our physical lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment