Sunday, May 22, 2011

Running and Boxing (no this isn't Rocky 127)

I've been thinking all week, what is next?  I keep going back to 1 Timothy 4:8:   For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. (thanks, http://www.biblegateway.com).  


The verse really could mean different things to different people.  One could look at it and say, "well the Bible clearly says that physical training is of little or no value, so why do it?"  I, on the other hand, see that the Bible mentions it and the verse seems to say, at least to me, that physical training is important, but not nearly as important as spiritual training.  OK... I got that;  had that before.  What keeps ringing in my head, though, is the mention of physical training.  I mean, it could have said the color clothes you wear, the kind of breakfast you have or any of a million things.  So, I'm thinking Paul must be saying physical training is important.  Why else would he mention it?  


Let's think a little broader, Paul also mentions in 1 Corinthians:  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."  Hebrews (author unknown, but credited to Paul) says "let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith".


So the New Testament authors are telling us of running and boxing.  Preparing our bodies for these two sports.  I see from this, that if I have my body under control and tamed for running, I have it under control when other temptations come about.  I need to be training to "run with perseverance".  Once I have my body tamed, then I'll be in better shape for the spiritual combat I'm faced with every day.  


Don't do like I did for so long and pass over the boxing reference.  Boxing back in these days was nothing like it is today.  Boxers wore gloves with spikes in them and usually fought until one was dead or at least incapacitated.  Sounds like something I'd want to be in great shape for, what about you?  That also reminds me of the stakes of our spiritual "boxing" we do every day.  The stakes are high and there are no time-outs.  Let's get our bodies in shape and prepare our bodies and spirits for the boxing matches of the day.  


May He increase and i decrease, 


shane

No comments:

Post a Comment