Saturday, September 3, 2011

I have a heart condition...

No, not a medical heart condition... I have a condition of where my heart is.  The Bible reminds us that where our heart is "there our treasure is also".  I'm better than I was before.  Dropping nearly 100 lbs and keeping it off has changed my heart.

Ginger and I were talking the other day and I told her that when I am disciplined enough to exercise, I'm usually disciplined to keep my office cleaner, etc.  Everything works together.  That really kinda tied in together for me on a run the other day.  My shoes were giving me fits, I'd not slept and I really didn't want to be running that morning.  I wanted to sleep and wake up and eat pancakes.  True story.  I was wondering, if God is God of all (and He is), then why would I, as an otherwise sane person, have to be up and running before the sun came up?  Why wouldn't God just give us all the ability to stay healthy and eat what we want, when we want and how much we want?  While we're at it, why do we need to tithe (I mean, come on, God doesn't really need our money anyway, right?)?   The answer to all those questions is it is a matter of the heart.  Remember, where our heart is (say it with me now) there our treasure is also (great job).  It is God's way of conditioning our hearts.

When we practice self-control in one area of our life, it spills over to others.  We keep our office (or car, house, whatever) cleaner, we watch our spending and become more frugal with what God has entrusted us with (including time), we may even go so far as having a regular devotion.

He's entrusted us with these bodies that the Bible teaches are His temple.  When we put things in front of what God has told us to do, it becomes idolatry, right?  Then let's treat God's temple with the respect and self control it deserves, let's put His words to action and not have idols in our life.

Ephesians 5:5 says:  "For of this you can be sure:  No immoral, impure or greedy person -- such a person is an idolater -- has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God"  (Thanks, http://www.biblegateway.com)

For me, caffeine has become an idol at times.  If I skipped it on Sunday morning, I couldn't listen to the message because my head hurt too much.  I'm removing that.

What idols do you have that need to be removed?  What is the condition of your heart?  I pray it's better than mine!

May He increase and i decrease,

shane

No comments:

Post a Comment