Monday, March 21, 2011

What would you say if i told you I got drunk yesterday?

I didn't, but what would you say if I did?  My friends that drink, I'm sure, would say something like "I wish I had seen THAT!".  My Baptist friends may not say anything, but I'm sure the thoughts would run the gamut.  "He did WHAT?"  "I had him pictured to be so much better than that"  "And on SUNDAY of all days, too!".  Am I right or am I right? 

Let me ask you this... what did YOU have for lunch yesterday?  Dinner/Supper (depending on where you're from)?  Did you gorge yourself?  Have you heard of a term called gluttony?   How do you think it is looked on by the One who created our bodies?  Have you found a place in the Bible where sins are ranked as one being "wronger" than the next?

As I said last week, this week is about perspectives that have changed in my life.  In my new perspectives, I see the chicken fingers, fried okra and squash casserole to be just as bad, at least for me, as if I'd dipped into libations.  You see, I have a problem with food.  If I didn't, I wouldn't have been well over 260 lbs twice in my life.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting drinking.  The statistics don't lie, it is a very bad habit to get into.  It is just that it seems to me that we, especially as Southern Baptists, critisize and judge people who drink while we stuff ourselves with fried chicken, desserts, etc as if that is different.  I think we all need to apply a little Luke 6:40-42 in our lives and adjust our perspectives.  Drinking definately does affect the temple of the Holy Spirit (our bodies), it is addictive, it is a lot of bad things.  So is fast food and all-you-can-eat buffets. 

Hopefully, you won't read this and take up drinking.  I also don't want you to think I'm defending alcohol or alcoholism.  My hope and prayer is that you'll think about what you put in your body, whether liquid or solid, and think about what it is doing to the temple of the Holy Spirit.  Also, if you're one of my friends who would actually call me out if you saw me drinking, please call me out if you see me eating poorly... in my new view, I am having problems seeing a difference. 

As always, I truly welcome your comments or questions. 

May He increase and i decrease,

Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment